Monday 5 September 2011

Trekking in Redwoods territory and a visit to Japantown...



Sorry, I'm a bit late posting this...  These are a few photos from a week ago when I went to Muir Wood national park to see the famous redwoods, the tallest trees on the planet, which are just a short bus ride from San Francisco. I went for a 3 hours hike up the hills, through the forest. It was amazing and turned out to be a bit of a revelation... I realised that I absolutely love hiking as long as I get to go by myself! So much more relaxed, you can go at your rhythm, no pressure from anyone... I think this was the best hike I've ever done and it wasn't an easy one either. Those hills were pretty steep! But so worth it... The further I went into the forest, the tallest the trees became and the sights were magnificent! Had a good look around for any rogue apes too, but no luck... Shame!










A lot of the trees have charred bits left over by various fires that have taken place over the last couple of hundred years.

This was a fallen tree trunk where people have been leaving their mark







Reminded me of home, a little bit of Scotland in California...
The next day, I decided to pop over to Japantown, which is only a few blocks from where I live. It's a very cool place with sushi on every corner and every possible Hello Kitty merchandise you can think of! Turns out that while I was there, they were having their end of summer festival with lots of local artists and craftsmen selling stuff on stalls. There were a lot of illustrators and graphic artists selling their artwork, really interesting stuff. But the best part of the festival was the people watching with half the people in attendance dressed up in cosplay, imitating their favorite manga characters. It was quite amazing! I managed to get a few photos of some of the best efforts on the main stage, dancing away... :-)





No comments:

Post a Comment